I had fun a couple weeks ago crafting for fall, as inspired by Pinterest. The weather has definitely changed here and I'm ready for fall. Here's my table in the foyer.
I bought some cheap burlap at the fabric store, cut some big circles, sewed around the edge to keep from fraying, then used embroidery floss and wide stitches around the edge to cinch it up around a stick we found outside. They are stuffed with plastic bags and newspaper.
The kids helped me gather some acorns and branches for this glass canister and then I threw in some fake leaves for color.
I used the same method as the burlap pumpkins except I used 8 inch felt circles. I plastic bag fit perfectly inside each one. I already had the basket and the little branch balls.
I love my hurricane vases to change decor for the seasons! A little popcorn and a fake leaf tied onto the candles and we're in business.
I made this felt garland with 2 1/2 inch strips of felt and wide stitches with embroidery floss. I liked how it turned out, but I didn't know where to put it. It looks pretty good above a window in the kitchen.
I found these felt placemats at Bed Bath and Beyond on sale. I just love how they look on my table.
My dining room windows have bothered me since this past Christmas. When our house was first done, I had no desire to put a valance or anything on the windows because I love the wood so much. Too me, it was almost like putting a bumper sticker on a porsche, don't ruin a beautiful thing. At Christmas time though, I put up a pine garland to decorate. I loved that it was simple, but still a unique way to add color.
After taking all the Christmas decorations down though, the house felt so bare and boring and bland. I casually started to look for ways to add more color and thought I was going to have to put up a valance. But then Rylan's birthday rolled around and I used a balloon garland on the windows. It was the perfect way to decorate for a party. You can't see it the best in this photo, but it's all I had.
For Mackenzie's birthday, I made tissue poms to hang up. They were my favorite and I left them up for quite some time. (actually I just took them down a couple weeks ago)
I had decided to make a valance, but I couldn't find fabric that I loved. I finally found a table cloth that I loved but when I pinned it in place just to see if I liked it, it seemed way too busy and intrusive. I couldn't do it. So back to square one. I needed something, but not a valance. I searched online for unique window treatments, but I never found anything that intrigued me. Then a couple weeks ago, I randomly came across this idea on Pinterest and I knew I had to do it.
And I love how it looks! I cut squares of burlap, sewed around the edge, then used an actual apple half to stamp the paint on. I touched up each one with a paintbrush, but it was pretty easy. I used a fabric paint marker to add the stem and seeds, then attached some jump rings to string them on some jute. I love it!
And I think I've decided to seasonally change my window treatment with something new and unique. Next will be the Christmas garland again, but then I'll have to find something awesome for spring. I'm getting more and more into decorating, and it's so fun to make unique stuff myself! I'll gladly take suggestions for my windows, so let me know if you have an idea!




No comments:
Post a Comment