Saturday, September 15, 2012

Boulder Climbing

I forgot these!  Over Labor Day weekend Rylan, my Dad, and I went to an old rock quarry and did some hiking and boulder climbing.  When I was younger, Dad, Spencer and I would go hiking here and we always had so much fun.  I'm so excited that Rylan will get to have those memories as well.



Here is the view from the top of the quarry.  You can see some picnickers in the lower left side.  It's quite the place.

This is the little crevice you have to climb in to get down from the top.  All my pictures make it look like the spaces are much bigger than they really are.

This is the same spot we always used to stop for a snack and water break when I was younger too.

This was a really cool space.  It was kind of hidden and very damp and cool (which felt really good that day).  We called this the rainforest because there were some ferns and moss growing down there, I don't think it got much direct sunlight down there.  It reminded me very much of that movie 127 Hours - the true story of Aron Ralston, the climber who fell and got stuck in a crevice and had to cut his own arm off in order to get out.

This is the cactus that Rylan stuck his hand in.  He freaked out a little, but after we got the 1 giant thorn and about 30 little thorns out, he was ready to continue.

This was Rylan's favorite part.  We had been trying to get down from the top and discovered this awesome crack/crevice/cave/pass.  Again, the camera makes it look like there's a lot more room than there really was.  From the rocks at the top to the bottom of the picture, it was only about 16 inches to squeeze through.  Then it opened up to the cave space where Rylan and my Dad are in.


"How we get out Grandpa?"

Rylan had no fear, he was so excited.  We had such a great time and can't wait to go back.



No comments: