I probably added a bit more cinnamon and we sprinkled brown sugar on top when served, but otherwise, I didn't change anything. Not that there's much to change, it was easy and delicious. The original name was Apple Pie Breakfast and it really did taste a lot like apple pie, but Mackenzie called it Apple Pie Soup, so I think we will continue to use that name, it's more fun!
Apple Pie Soup
Ingredients
- 1 cup of steel cut oats*
- 3 diced apples
- 1 cup apple juice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions - Slow Cooker
For Best Results: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like. Be sure to stir every hour or so.
* You can also cook longer without stirring, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier. Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.
I had never used steel cut oats and I wasn't even sure what was different about them, but I found out. I LOVED them! Regular oatmeal is mushier. I liked the texture of the steel cut oats, so I'm so glad I tried them. Apparently you have to use steel cut oats in the crock pot for this recipe because regular oatmeal get way too mushy this way. On the original site, the gal has a stovetop method to use as well if you only have regular oats. I love my crock pot, so this was perfect. I didn't stir as often as I should have as I dumped everything in and then took a 2 1/2 hour nap, but it was fine. A little was baked on the side of the crock pot, but otherwise, it was perfect.
Best of all, both kids loved it and gobbled it right up. We have leftovers for breakfast in the morning too!
No comments:
Post a Comment