Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Book Reviews

Here's what we got from the library this past week:

For myself, I got three books all by Ree Drummond.  Ree has a blog called The Pioneer Woman - go check it out, you won't be disappointed.  It's full of delicious recipes and stories about her families life on a cattle ranch. She's real, honest, and incredibly funny - seriously, you'll love her.


 The cookbooks are amazing!  Not only are there recipes for delicious food, but there are pictures of each step to make it super easy to follow.  I also love how there are pictures of their ranch life and little stories interspersed throughout as well.  I will probably buy these cookbooks, I just love them.


The story of how Ree met and fell in love with her husband - it's adorably sweet and endearing.



We checked out 12 children's books this week - here are my favorites of the stack.

A cute book written by astronaut Mark Kelly - it was inspired by a mouse that was brought into space on Kelly's first mission on space shuttle Endeavour.  There were 18 mice on board, but only one, the smallest one, let go of the cage sides to experience weightlessness - and seemed to enjoy it.  The story is cute, the illustrations are adorable, and I found the afterword especially interesting.  It contains the inspiration for the story, a brief history of space travel, and taking animals into space.

A story of a little girl who likes to be different and how eventually everyone appreciates her for it.  It reminds me of my Kenzie-Girl. :)

A familiar story of a runt chick who can still do great things - but the illustrations will make you melt - the most adorable baby farm animals!


Mackenzie has been into the Fancy Nancy books lately and we really liked this one.  It teaches how to handle a disappointing situation with grace, while also acknowledging the disappointing feelings.

1 comment:

Kavanaugh Family Happenings said...

I love Pioneer Woman too! Isn't it just the best cookbook you've ever read?! Hope all is well with you guys.