Saturday, December 15, 2012

Skating Lessons

Both kids are currently taking skating lessons and they're both proud of their improvement.  We have tried taking Rylan skating in the past, but he always got frustrated and gave up, getting mad that he couldn't do it right away.  When we asked him this year if he wanted to take lessons, he was a little hesitant, but said yes.  So far he's doing great - he takes his time and listens to directions and you can tell he's really trying hard.  It's so fun to watch him!


I'm not sure if he wants to be a hockey player or not.  He talks about it, but I'm not pushing it.  I'd actually rather he not play hockey because in our community I know that it's a huge commitment of time and money for kids to play.  But, if it's what he really wants to do - we'll figure it out.  I'm just enjoying these beginning phases of watching him learn.



I don't have any pictures of Mackenzie skating because I always have to skate with her.  She is still pretty nervous about skating by herself and she's scared of falling so I've been holding her while she skates.  But I'm supporting her less and less so she has to learn to keep her balance.  This past week she did great - skating quite a bit all by herself and she was really proud of herself.  If you know our rough and tumble Mackenzie you know that she's more likely to be a hockey player than a figure skater.  I would rather put her in figure skates, but she is currently learning on hockey skates.  I almost bought the super cute tiny figure skates, but since we had Rylan's skates from last year that fit her, it didn't make any sense to buy new ones.  I asked her one time and she said she wanted to be a figure skater, but I'm not sure she really knows the difference - so we'll see.  Maybe there's a graceful girl in there somewhere!  :)

No comments: