I don't think it's a surprise that I love sweets! I have a much bigger repertoire of desserts than I do entrees. I like cakes, cookies, and pies, but I think my favorite are bars. I probably couldn't have told you what my favorite type of bar was until a couple weeks ago. I had to make bars for a church function and asked my mom for a recipe that I vaguely remembered. They are called Messenger Bars and they are Heaven on Earth. Seriously, that good. And they are great for bringing to events because they're made in a jelly roll pan, so you get lots of them. But probably the best part is that they are no-bake. Perfect for summertime when you don't want the extra heat in the house.
The pan I made was taken to the church event and they disappeared like magic. The only reason I had a few to take home is that I kept some in the pan just for me! Now don't think I'm evil hiding bars from a church function - we had 7 huge platters of bars and 3 were left over. So no one went hungry, I just saved a few of the good ones for myself. :)
I don't have a picture of them either because the only thought in my mind regarding these bars was eating them. It didn't even occur to me to blog about them until they were already gone. So all you get is the recipe and a yell-it-off-the-top-of-a-mountain recommendation.
Messenger Bars
1st layer
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white syrup
2 cups peanut butter
2 cups hand crushed corn flakes
3 cups rice krispies
Heat sugar, syrup, and peanut butter 1 minute at a time in microwave. Mix well. Add cornflakes and rice krispies. Put in a buttered jelly roll pan. Cool.
2nd layer
2 sticks margarine
2 pkgs vanilla instant pudding
4 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons milk
Melt margarine, add the rest. Pour over 1st layer. Refrigerate.
3rd layer
Melt 1 stick of margarine and a 12 oz. package of chocolate chips. Pour over 2nd layer, refrigerate.
Your welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment