Monday, August 27, 2012

Camping Again

But in the backyard this time!  I'm not sure why we haven't done this before, but we had a blast camping in our backyard.  First it was just going to be Nick and Rylan; I was more than willing to stay in the house in my own bed, but I knew Mackenzie would want to be with them.  I figured it would be a fun thing for them to do with Daddy, but then I realized I was being a fuddy-duddy.  I couldn't let them have all the fun!



If we were going to sleep in a tent, it might as well be in the backyard where all the comforts of home are just a few feet away.  So we set up the tent, hauled in all the comforts (air mattress, pillow mats, sleeping bags, extra blankets, security blankets, bunny bears and babies for cuddling), set up the computer so we could watch a movie, and we all settled in for an out-of-the-ordinary evening.



We watched the movie Treasure Planet, (which was cute) enjoyed milkshakes, and when it was dark and late, tried to go to sleep.  Staying up late talking just goes with the territory when you're in a tent though.  It made Nick a little crazy that the kids wouldn't stop talking, but I just had to laugh.


Ace even joined us!  But he had to sleep in the "porch" area.  Nick did end up bringing him back to the garage in the middle of the night though.  He could hear everything outside, so he was restless and barked a few times.  The kids slept through it but the grown-ups didn't.  I think Ace was just as relieved to get back to the garage.


The kids slept great; never woke up.  Nick and I woke a few times from Ace, and once to go the bathroom and get an extra blanket.  We stuck the kids in the sleeping bags and we just used blankets, but it got down to the upper 40's that night, so it was chilly.


As you can see, my little babes' woke up happy and rested.  We took the air mattress out and they played in the tent most of the next day.  Fun just like camping, but without all the packing and the work!  We will definitely do this again!


No comments: