I found this recipe on Pinterest. I like oatmeal and I like easy breakfast, so why not? Head on over to this site to view the original post and more recipe variations. Her version uses greek yogurt, but I'm not a fan of the stuff so I use regular vanilla flavored yogurt.
This gal also uses adorable little mason jars, but I didn't have any 1/2 pint jars or plastics lids, so my frozen strawberry containers worked just fine. But if the picture above doesn't make you want to try it, then nothing will. Mine doesn't look that good, but it sure does taste good!
The chocolate banana flavor is my favorite, so that's all I'm posting; feel free to try the others from the original site or make up your own.
Chocolate Banana Refrigerator Oatmeal
1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
1/3 cup skim milk
1/3 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon honey
diced banana - however much you want. I usually use 2 bananas for 3 servings.
In any container, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds, cocoa and honey. Put the lid on and shake to combine.
Stir in the banana and refrigerate overnight. I usually only make 3 servings at a time, or the banana gets nasty. It's so easy to make and even easier to grab for a quick breakfast in the morning.
I had never heard of chia seeds before this recipe, but was pleased to find them at our local grocery store in the health food aisle. They came in a bag, but I keep them in that Dannon yogurt container you see. They absorb liquid, so in this oatmeal, they have more of a tapioca texture than a crunchy seed. You can eat them plain, but they really have no flavor, so they are great to add to stuff. Here are their health benefits:
-they are packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, good for your heart
-high in protein
-loaded with calcium, potassium, vitamin B, and anti-oxidants
-help control blood sugar due it's unique combo of soluble and insoluble fiber that slows down your body's conversion of starches into sugars
-they absorb 10 times their weight in liquid to turn into a gel-like substance; good for athletes to maintain hydration and for weight loss to help keep you feeling full
-compared to flax seed, but chia has more Omega-3's, doesn't have to be ground up and has a longer shelf life

No comments:
Post a Comment