Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Advent Week 4

Oops, forgot to post the last of our activities!

Day 22: Christmas light tour in PJ's
The perfect way to end the week.  We have a cold bug going through our house.  It hit Nick hard and he spent a day and a half in bed, but so far the rest of us just have sniffles and sneezes.  Thankfully Rylan thinks it's really fun to use a disinfecting wipe to wipe down all door handles and light switches - he spent 20 minutes doing that this morning!  So anyway, this was a great activity to do that was also relaxing.
We got the kids ready for bed, then reminded Rylan that he never checked the advent calendar for the day.  He gave me this annoyed look like it didn't really make a difference because it was bedtime anyway - such a smarty pants!  He read the paper and asked what it meant.  I said, "well we better do it huh? Let's get in the car and go look at Christmas lights!"  Kenzie was cheering, but Rylan just stood there.  Finally he said, "Mommy is this just a joke or is this really true?"  When I said it's true, I didn't think I'd ever get him to calm down to get in the car!  He was so excited!  I'm so glad that he never actually looked at the advent calendar until then because the surprise was all worth it!

Snuggled up in jammies and blankets!



 A few of the favorite houses we saw.




Day 23: Sleep in a tent or fort
The kids were both pretty naughty this day and they lost this privilege, so everyone slept in their beds.  I think it made for a much better Christmas Eve.


Day 24: Read the Christmas story from the Bible and act it out with the nativity scene
We actually chose to read the Christmas story from a children's book we have, The Very First Christmas by Suzanne Berry.  The pictures are simply and lovely and it tells the Christmas story conveying all the wonder and amazement that it should.


Day 25: CHRISTMAS - Celebrate Jesus' birthday!
We sang Happy Birthday to Jesus, opened presents, made a big breakfast and spent the day with family - it was perfect!

Although it was quite busy making sure we did everything (well almost everything)  we had so much fun with this advent calendar and I can't wait to do it again next year.  We'll do some of the same stuff but I'm excited to do some new things as well!

No comments: