Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pie, Pie, Pie

Haha, I just realized I'm posting this on Pi day!  Make some pie for Pi day!  :)

Who doesn't love pie?!  I made three different mini-pies for an event last week and they were all delicious - and actually pretty easy too.


First up was lemon-coconut.  I've posted about these before, but I'll re-post the recipe.  I love lemon, so this is my all time favorite!
 Lemon-Coconut Cream Tartlets
2/3 cup flaked coconut
1 box (15 oz) refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on the box
8 individual foil tart pans (I made them in a cupcake pan this time - worked great and is the perfect size)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 jar (10 oz) lemon curd 
1/2 cup fresh raspberries, if desired

Heat oven to 350.  On ungreased cookie sheet, spread coconut evenly.  Bake 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown.  (This can be tough, so watch it closely at the end, I swear it takes 30 seconds to go from perfect to burnt.)  Increase oven temp to 450.

Remove pie crusts from pouches, unroll on floured work surface or parchment paper.  Roll each crust lightly to form 12-inch round.  Cut rounds to fit your desired pan size. 

Reserve 2 T. toasted coconut for topping.  Sprinkle each crust round with a little coconut and a little sugar; roll in lightly with rolling pin.  Press each round, coconut side up, in bottom and up side of pan.  (I never press them in much, just enough to keep their shape, then they pop out easily.)  Prick bottoms and sides with fork.  

Bake at 450 for 7-9 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.  Cool completely, about 15 minutes.

In large bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.  Place 2 cups of the whipped cream in medium bowl; fold in lemon curd until well combined.  Spoon into cooled baked tart shells.  Top each with a dollop of remaining whipped cream.  Garnish with fresh raspberries and reserved coconut.  To serve, gently slide tarts out of pans; place on individual dessert plates.  Store in refrigerator.
****Lemon curd is usually found near the jams and jellies, but I've also found it in the baking aisle next to the pie fillings, so check both places if you're looking for it.  I had never bought it before making this recipe, so this was a helpful tip for me.


Here is the original post where I found this next recipe.  This gal made them in little 8-oz mason jars, and claimed it only made 6 of them, but I could have made at least 15 of these.  I ended up throwing some of the filling away because I didn't have any more crusts.
Strawberry Cream Pie

  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Strawberry Pie Filling
DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter until a crumbly, moist mixture forms. Press 1/4 cup crumb mixture over the bottom of six wide-mouth 8-ounce mason jars; set aside. (I usually prefer to make my own graham cracker crusts, but I used store-bought ones this time.  They were the perfect little size and very convenient.)
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
In another clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl and beaters as needed. Fold in 1/3 of the whipped cream to lighten it; then add the remaining whipped cream, gently folding until the filling is light and fluffy. (It took a little more than gentle folding, so I just kept the mixer on low.)
Spoon the filling into each crust.
Serve chilled, topped with strawberry pie filling.


This was another recipe I found online.  Check it out here.  This little pie surprised me.  I thought it would be too rich, but it was just right, so delicious!  This one also says it makes 6 mini pies, but I think I got 8 or 9.
Mini Reese's Peanut Butter Pies
(Makes 6 mini pies)

Mini Graham Cracker Pie Crusts (the ones I bought had 6 in a package)
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
4 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/8 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tub of Cool Whip (4 ounces), thawed
10 miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped

Optional Toppings

Cool Whip
3 miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
Chocolate Syrup

1.  In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, and powdered sugar.  Beat on medium until the mixture is smooth and fully combined. 

2.  Gently fold in the Cool Whip until fully combined. Then gently add the 10 chopped miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Evenly split up the mixture between the 6 graham cracker crusts.    

3.  Refrigerate for an hour or until ready to serve.  Add the extra chopped miniature peanut butter cups on top.  Then add a dollop of whipped cream and drizzle chocolate syrup on top of the pies to serve.  

****I thought the Reese's candy made it too rich, so I only cut up 1 mini cup for the top of each.  I didn't fold the 10 chopped mini-Reese's into the filling.

No comments: