Start with this post if you want to re-read about her journey. I still can't read that one without crying like a baby - re-living all those emotions and now tears of joy when I think of how far she's come!
Then go here to see her first day of preschool this year.
I will forever be grateful for and indebted to Mackenzie's preschool teachers she has had these past two years. They are the most caring and loving group of women I've ever met and I know they truly love Mackenzie as much as I do (well, almost - it's pretty hard to match a Momma's love). Their dedication to Mackenzie and all her classmates is unparalleled. They are gentle, patient, loving, encouraging, hard-working, and just plain amazing! I'm not sure if Mackenzie would be where she is without all their attention and devotion.
When we started preschool, I didn't know what would happen in 2 years and where Mackenzie would be at the end of it all. She entered preschool saying fewer than 20 words, most of which were pronounced incorrectly and she primarily communicated by pointing and using a "tst, tst, tst" sound.
As of February 13, 2013 she was dismissed from all services because all her skills are at age level now! If you know Mackenzie you know she talks non-stop and now only has trouble with the 'r' sound (which is normal for many 4 year olds). At that meeting on the 13th, I was holding back the tears, so excited and proud of my girl! She did it! It really did take a lot of work and Mackenzie has done hours and hours of practice - she has always been determined to say things correctly and was always so proud of herself when she got it!
Sometimes I'm frustrated with Mackenzie's headstrong, determined, stubborn attitude, but I know why God made her that way now. She never would have gotten this far without that confidence and charm and I can't wait to see what else He has in store for her. We have to work on the bossy-pants attitude, but sister has some leadership skills that I know will serve her well!
So, kindergarten you ask? Mackenzie would make the age cut-off by a month and be able to start kindergarten next year, but my gut says she's not quite ready yet. So we're excitedly looking for the right preschool for her for next year. She's excited about something new and so are we.
Her future is bright and God is good!
Oh, and for the rest of this year - she's able to stay at her current preschool as a peer (child with no special needs to be a role model)!!! It's going to be a hard day saying goodbye to her current teachers, so I'm glad we don't have to do that yet. And we would hate to break up the 3 musketeers at school - those 3 are thick as thieves. Below is not the best picture of them - it was at their little Christmas program so they were all trying to sing songs while being surrounded and photographed/videotaped by the parent paparazzi - not an every day occurrence.
We love you so much Mackenzie and we're beyond proud of you and all you've accomplished so far!






No comments:
Post a Comment