Saturday, March 17, 2012

Last Week vs. This Week

Last Saturday we played in the snow.  Today, we played outside with t-shirts and shorts.  Awesome!


Last week:
We went hiking in the woods on some of Nick's hunting land.  It was a beautiful sunny day and we had a great time.  First, Kenzie and I had to sit in the car while Nick and Rylan tried to call in some coyotes.  Apparently, us girls can't be quiet enough.  So we had a snack in the car.


No coyotes, so we went for a hike.  There was still plenty of snow and the kids had fun jumping into the drifts in the ravines.

Mackenzie took the safe way down.

This is where Rylan jumped in, leaned forward...
 ... and crumpled up at the bottom.  He thought it was pretty funny and probably would have just dove head first from the top if we hadn't told him not to.

Daddy has the best shoulders to ride on.

Nick needed a little break from the extra weight, so he set Mackenzie in a tree.

If you put one kid in a tree, the other one will want to sit in it as well. And chances are, you'll have to take pictures of both of them. 

Then it was easier for Daddy just to trudge through and make paths for everyone.  However, be aware that this picture was only taken after Mommy and Daddy had switched the duty of "path creator".  I shuffled through the snow making a suitable path for the 5 and under crowd for a good while too!

Yes, they did lots more sliding down that hill too.

Rylan decided he wanted to have a snowball fight.  He didn't realize Daddy was so good at throwing snowballs, so he quickly took shelter behind a tree.  Nick was pelting them pretty hard at that tree, never intending to actually hit Rylan, but the one time Rylan didn't duck back behind the tree, Nick had a wild throw and hit him right in the head.  See the snow on his hat on his right side?  Yep, smoked him right there.  Thankfully he didn't complain, he thought it was pretty funny.  He ducked behind the tree every other time though.

Then they needed a little break.  I think Rylan eventually made a snow angel here too.

After getting back out to the field, we had a little picnic with fish crackers and water.  Such a fun day!


This week:
We spent St. Patty's Day in t-shirts as it was 80 degrees.  (We weren't in the exact same location, I think it was actually 75 at that hiking spot in the woods, but it's pretty close.  And we couldn't have gone back to the woods anyway.  The field would have been too muddy to drive across.) 
We are spending the weekend with my parents so we headed to a local parade for St. Patrick's Day.  I'm not Irish, so I've never understood the big deal about St. Patrick's Day, nor do I really think I should.  I don't have anything against the celebration, but it seems weird to me to dress up and party if I'm not Irish.  So I did not wear green, or drink insane amounts of green beer, but we did enjoy the weather and the lively crowd at the parade.  We ended up going early to get something to eat downtown and it worked out perfectly to order take-out from a diner and eat it picnic style on the street waiting for the parade to start.  The food was awesome! Here are my wonderful parents and my stubborn girl who wouldn't look at the camera.  I can't blame her though, those fries were amazingly delicious!  

More waiting!

I don't think I've ever been to a St. Patrick's Day parade before, but I've never seen a crowd like this, ever, at any parade I've ever been too.  The amount of people was unreal.  Understandably there would be a huge crowd outside this Irish pub, but it was this crowded everywhere.  Obviously the weather played a part in attendance this year, but it was a fun time with all the people.

The kids wanted to get as close as possible, so Grandpa moved up with them a little. (yes, I did dress my kids up in green.  They have a little Irish in them from Nick, so I figured they could pull it off.  And it was fun for them to match everyone else.)

Parade was during regular nap/rest time, so they were willing to sit down a little, but they did great the whole day!

Grandpa's lap is the best!

Kenzie got a little more tired and had to lay down.

After the parade, we headed to a park so we could continue to enjoy the weather.  We had fun running/rolling down these terraces.  We thought Mackenzie was going to roll down, so that's why we took her glasses off.

Grandpa tried it first.

Then Kenzie

Then Rylan

Family photo

Goofy one!

Goofy again

What a day!

No comments: