"Kenzie-girl" has been Mackenzie's nickname since she was an infant and while I don't call her that very much anymore, it's still a special little name she'll always have.
This post is all about my Kenzie-girl. It's bound to be long, so come back later if you don't have time to read it all now. I've been working on the next two posts for some time, debating whether or not to publish them, but I want everyone to understand her better so I'm going to pour my heart out. It's also a little like therapy as each of these things have been emotional for me along the way. Writing everything down is a sort of release and reading it all again makes me realize that we can handle it and everything is happening according to God's plan.
Development/growth/health thing #1
When Mackenzie was 6 months old, the Dr. commented about her weight gain at her well-baby check-up. In 2 months, she had dropped from the 50th percentile for weight to the 10th. She hadn't lost weight, but she wasn't gaining the way most infants do. However, our Dr. assured me he wasn't concerned because she was still at the 50th percentile for height, so she was still growing just fine. I wasn't really concerned either, but from that point to 18 months, her percentile kept dropping. Keep in mind she was still gaining weight, just not as fast as other kids her age. At first I questioned my milk supply since she was exclusively breast-fed, but even when we started on solids and she ate everything in sight, she remained low on the weight charts. But still, her height remained between 30-50th percentile. It never really bothered me until other people, strangers included, would comment on it. People would ask if I was feeding her enough, if the Dr. knew, etc. I even had a stranger ask me if it was possible that she had worms! "Seriously? Did that just come out of your mouth?" I had to let things go in one ear and out the other because I would have gone crazy. She was just my petite little girl.
It seems she has finally caught up though, and has been growing like a weed this past spring/summer. Last fall, I bought her a bunch of new clothes, some pants were size 24 months, but most items were 2T. Now almost everything I buy is a 4T! At her 3 year check up, she was in the 70th percentile for both height and weight! I'm thrilled that she's growing so well, but I wish she would stop now! :)
Development/growth/health thing #2
You all know Mackenzie wears glasses. You can re-read my early blog posts about those here, here, here, and here. She is doing great with her glasses and I feel we've finally come to a smooth spot with them. We have spent more than I want to know on frames and lenses, but it's okay because she needs them. She wears them no problem, but sometimes she uses them as a play toy, especially if she gets bored in the car. She can take them off her head and pop the lenses out in one swift move. She has lost lenses in the car that I have never found. (yes, I've searched the carseat - taken it out and damn near dismantled the whole thing) So as long as she doesn't play with them in the car...., throw them during a tantrum....., or have them knocked off during a fight with her brother, we are good! We recently had another check-up on her eyes and she finally sat still long enough for the machine to get a good reading on both eyes! Our eye Dr. has always done a wonderful job of dealing with a squirmy toddler and he has been confident about her prescription, but it was nice to get the second "opinion" of the machine to know that her glasses are just right for her. We will keep going back for check ups every year to see how things are progressing. Her prescription should change (get less intense) as her eyes grow so all we can do is keep monitoring.
No comments:
Post a Comment