Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Big Chop

I have always had long hair.  Once in college, I cut it just longer than my shoulders, but that's the shortest it's ever been.  Last fall I was getting fed up with my long hair and I decided I wanted to try a short style.  Then I figured if I was going to cut a bunch off, I might as well donate it to Locks of Love. I went to their website to find out the details - the minimum to donate is 10 inches.  I measured my hair and decided I wasn't ready to go THAT short.  So I started to grow it out with the intent of donating when I was ready for the chop.  I went to my stylist and she suggested waiting until after summer so I could still put it all up in a pony.  I listened to her and it just kept getting longer.

I actually really enjoyed having it this long, it was fun to try new things like different braids and buns over the summer, but I was ready for a change.

When I got a text from my stylist today that she had a cancellation and could get me in, I was thrilled.  She actually ended up cutting about 12 inches off!  This first picture doesn't really do it justice, but I just LOVE it!  I was skeptical that I would like it because I've never had it this short.  And I might have caved and just gotten a good trim, but I've been telling people I was going to donate, so I had some accountability!  And I'm so glad I did!

It feels so good short, it will be so easy and it's just so fun and different for me.  I feel like a whole new woman!  :)  Nick and the kids love it too, Mackenzie kept touching it tonight saying, "Mommy, I like your short hair!"

So Locks of Love will be getting a donation from me this week and I'm thrilled about helping someone else as well.  Now I know I can do it, so I might have to do this again!

No comments: